Helping Chicagoland families transition from bad situations to bright futures.

Questions About Family Law? We Can Help.

Why should I hire your law office?

Our law office is passionate about servicing the community. The Law Office of Alyease Jones understands the complexity of handling legal issues and balancing everyday life. Hiring a lawyer allows an individual to have a professional advocate on their behalf. Our law office handles your legal matter while you handle your everyday life. Give us a call today for a free case evaluation!

How do I start the divorce process?

Preparing for a divorce can be a very difficult process. First, assess your life and determine why divorce is necessary. If a divorce is necessary, then determine what type of divorce is necessary. Is the divorce contested or uncontested? Have you spoken with your spouse? Do both parties agree or disagree regarding the nature of the divorce? How will you handle being a single income household? Next, evaluate your feelings regarding “divorce.” Divorces can be complex and cause an array of emotions. Many individuals do not understand the legal consequences of ending a marriage. Finally, make sure you meet the minimal requirements for divorce. In Illinois, divorces can only be granted if you or your spouse have been a resident of Illinois for at least ninety days, you or your spouse have been separated, and there have been irreconcilable differences. Please note there have been significant changes in the Illinois Dissolution of Marriage Act as of January 01, 2016. To learn more about starting the divorce process and receiving assistance preparing for a divorce, call our law office.

How can I receive child support for my child/children?

It is important for a child to receive support from their parents – emotional and financial. Parents have a duty to support their children financially. In Illinois, courts are required to follow the minimum guidelines provided by statute. Child support is determined by using the income shares model. This means that both parents’ incomes will be utilized when calculating child support. When the court determines an amount for child support, the court will enter a uniform order of support. Child support payments will be processed and disbursed through the Illinois State Disbursement Unit. Child support cases are filed with the Clerk of Court or started through the Illinois Department of Health Care and Family Services.

How can I receive visitation rights?

On January 01, 2016, Illinois grants parents parenting time, not visitation. Visitation is no longer the term used for parents; instead, parents are given parenting time. Once a case is filed, both parents must come up with a parenting plan (visitation plan) within 120 days. If the parents can not agree on a schedule, then the court will set a schedule for parenting time. Having a set parenting time schedule allows the family stability. It is in the child’s best interest to regularly spend time with both parents.

Can I hire an attorney to assist me with DCFS?

Yes. If you have been investigated by the Illinois Department of Children Family Services (DCFS) and indicated, then contact an attorney who understands DCFS defense immediately! DCFS is responsible for protecting children through investigation of suspected abuse or neglect. A report of abuse or neglect can result in an indication. An indication means there is credible evidence that a child has been abused or neglected. An indication means that DCFS will register your name in the State Central Register. If your employment requires you to interact with children, then this could be an issue. If you have been indicated, then it is highly recommended that you contact an attorney for a DCFS appeal. Contact our office today to discuss DCFS defense!

Free Resources

Contact Us Today

For a free initial case evaluation, contact us online or call 630-326-5697 today. Lady Justice Chicago can help you seek the resolution and peace of mind you deserve.